Anto Zirdum was born 4 June 1956 in the Plehani district of Derventa, in a working class family of farmers and factory workers. He completed primary and high school in Zenica, and graduated from the Faculty of Pedagogy in Rijeka. He started his working career in Vares and is now employed in Travnik, although he lives in nearby Vitez. Zirdum currently holds the position of Inspector for Education, Science, Culture and Sport.
To date he has published the following 14 books of prose, and edited one collection of selected poems:
– Riders of the Light, Legends and Fantasies (Jahaci svjetlosti, legende i fantazije) published by HKD Napredak, Vitez, 1996;
– Bronze Sword, (Broncani mac), a collection of stories published by HKD Napredak & FLASH agency, 1996;
– Medico Laureato, a novel based on the author’s biography; published by Croatian hospital “Dr. fra Mato Nikolić”, Nova Bila 1997;
– White Road, Black Winter (Bijeli put, crna zima), a novel published by ZIRAL Mostar & HKD Napredak Vitez, 1998;
– Keepers of Dignity (Cuvari dostojanstva), a collection of stories published by Naša ognjišta, Tomislavgrad, 1999;
– Bistua’s Chronicle (Bistuanska kronika) a novel published by HKD Napredak, Vitez 2000;
– You Can’t Get Out of Your Skin (Ne mozes iz svoje koze), a novel published by MH Zenica/Čitluk, 2001;
– Roofless Island (Obeskrovljeni otok), a novel published by MH Zenica & Zavičajni klub Plehan Zagreb, 2002;
– Saga of Two Swords (Saga o dva maca), a novel published by Multimedija print, Nova Bila, 2003;
– The Slave Woman and Armatoloi (Robinja i martolozi), a novel published by MH Zenica, 2005;
– Wander in the Creak of the Dawn (Zacudnost u cik zore), HKD Napredak Vitez, prose, 2007;
– Radman’s syndrome (Radmanov sindrom) a collection of SF stories published by HKD Napredak, Vitez, 2007;
– Lost Stars (Izgubljene zvijezde) – a collection of hundred poems by poetesses from Bosnia and Herzegovina from 1908 to 2008, HKD Napredak Sarajevo, 2008.
–Elkasandra’s complex (Elkastrandin kompleks), SF novel, published by Slovo, Zagreb, 2008.
– Ceasarian (Carski rez), F FGM, Kreševo 2010.
– Bishop Andria and his Lady Friend (Biskup Andrija i njegova druzica), published by VAT/HKD Napredak Vitez, 2011.
– First, Second and Other Stories (Prve druge i ostale pjesme), published by VAT Vitez, 2011.
– Born on All Soul’s Day (Rodjeni na dan mrtvih), published by Dobra knjiga, Sarajevo, 2012.
Anto Zirdum’s stories and essays have been selected for 15 books, and a great many literary journals and magazines, and he wrote several dramas, out of which three were performed:
– Incognito (monodrama), 1987
– Bellum Batonianu (Rat batona), 2009
– First Surgeon (Prvi kirurg), 2010
His works are published in several anthologies:
– Croatian Literature of Bosnia and Herzegovina from the 15th century until now – Anthology of poetry and prose, published by Hrvatska Misao, 25-26, MH Sarajevo 2002/2003 (selected by dr. Milos Okuka)
(Hrvatska knjizevnost Bosne i Hercegovine od XV. stoljeca do danas – Antologija, poezije i proze, Hrvatska misao 25-26, MH Sarajevo 2002/2003 (priredio: dr. Milos Okuka)
– Anthology of Croatian SF stories, (Antologija hrvatske ZF price) Rijeka 2005 (selected by Zarko Milenic).
– Language and Cliff (Jezik i hrid) Mostar 2005 (selected by Zdravko Kordic)
– Anthology of Fantasy Short Stories from Bosnia and Herzegovina, (Antologija BH fantasticne price)
Zirdum’s stories, poems and essays have been translated into English, German, Macedonian, Hungarian and Slovenian.
For stories at various competitions: two third places, two second and two first.
For the novel Cesarian he received the Fra Grgo Martic, and Terra Tolis awards.
For his novel Born on All Soul’s Day, he received the Foundation for Publishing of Federation BiH award.
For his essay Inclusion and Exclusion he received third prize from the Kumanovo journal Koraci (Steps),.
Anto Zirdum is also the editor of the bh fantasy and primjenjena poezija (applied poetry) blogs.
mob. 00387 61 931 314